Best AMD Processor for gaming

Carson Chang

Hey I was just wondering, what is the best AMD CPU for gaming? I saw on Toms Hardware CPU Hierarchy Chart that the FX 4120 is the best AMD processor but I'd rather read what you guys have to say.

sam.chen

Administrator
Staff member
Hey I was just wondering' date=' what is the best AMD CPU for gaming? I saw on Toms Hardware CPU Hierarchy Chart that the FX 4120 is the best AMD processor but I'd rather read what you guys have to say.[/quote']

Well, it'll depend on what kind of budget you have, but right now I think the FX-4170 is probably the best AMD gaming processor as it carries the highest clock speed of the 4 Core FX processors and it's only a $10 premium over the FX4100. Also, I don't think they produce the FX4120 anymore...

Carson Chang

Well' date=' it'll depend on what kind of budget you have, but right now I think the FX-4170 is probably the best AMD gaming processor as it carries the highest clock speed of the 4 Core FX processors and it's only a $10 premium over the FX4100. Also, I don't think they produce the FX4120 anymore...
Oops sorry I meant 4170. Yeah so if I wanted to run Medal of Honor Warfighter or BF3 would the FX 4170 suffice or is there a better AMD processor?

AMD new Piledrivers are the way to go

When amd first released their bulldozer cpus, many people were hyped because the top of the line models had eight cores. Now this may seem impressive, but the FX-8150 only performed about 5% better then the Phenom II X6-1100T and considering there was a price difference greater then 5%. AMD's new Piledriver on the other hand performes 15% better than the bulldozer, which for the price is a great deal. On newegg, you can get the FX-8350 for roughly $230. Now don't expect to out perform intel's i7 line of cpus, but for the price amd definitely has phenomenon CPUs. For anyone looking for a budget pc, I always tell people to go for the latest 8 core cpu such as the 8350 because they are really great budget cpus for anyone looking for a new budget pc.

Alex Lin

^The news about Bulldozer under performing was reported long before and AMD's excuse was that it was optimized for Windows 8. Anyways for gaming I would rather focus on getting a i3 intel processor and pair it with a much more powerful graphics card. Sure it may be a bottleneck to an extent but sure does the job.