CNN Counter Arguement: Gaming Makes You Feel Good

jason.cpcr

Gaming Reporter
This is in response to CNN's article on how gaming can lead to bad grades and depression that I did for a school project. I just thought I should share my ideas with the community and bring a new perspective to this issue. The original article can be found here.

Dear Editor,
While reading your ideas about the effects gaming can have on children I found several inaccuracies that could very easily mislead someone to changing their own or someone they care for's lifestyle. For example, many of the effects of gaming that you consider more detrimental are incorrect. To be more precise, the quote "students who did stop their excessive gaming reduced their levels of depression, anxiety and social phobia," is full of flaws. While someone may get stuck in playing a game which could potentially lead to depression and anxiety, it doesn't because once the player is able to achieve their goal they feel a sense of happiness that is hard to surpass. It is the same feeling as when someone climbs Mount. Everest. They may face hardships and difficulties along the way, but these all subdue when the person accomplishes their goal.
The second part of that statement was that social phobia also decreased as a result of participants stopping their normal gaming habits. This statement is commonly made by people who do not understand the huge extent of video games around the world. Most people who play video games are not socially awkward. In fact, most gamers tend to have better friendships as they have a common interest that will always adapt with changing times. Also, with the aid of internet VoIP (Voice over IP) software, gamers will always have a way of staying in touch with old friends compared to most non-gamers.

Also, when talking about how children were diagnosed as pathological gaming they were asked "were students becoming more preoccupied with video games, did they lie about the amount of time spent playing, had schoolwork suffered, and if playing helped them escape from problems or bad feelings." These questions should not be used to define a pathological gamer. With a simple manipulation of the words these questions can be used to diagnose anyone as a pathological student. Were students more preoccupied with studying than they were with relationships? Were all kinds of relationships being damaged because of excess studying and competition? As I just demonstrated, these questions are too general to be used to diagnose anyone. The questions completely ignore the positives sides of gaming such as development of precise skills, prioritizing your duties, teamwork, and independence.

The author also failed to mention in the article that many professions can benefit from video games such as surgeons who need precise and dextrose hands, or managers who need to be able to manage many different tasks at once and prioritize them.

As this letter makes clear, your article is very vague and should not be used as evidence to influence someone's lifestyle choices.

Please share your thoughts.

Vanhodid

Wow, well i've always tought that anyone who says gaming is bad, is francly a grumpy bitch..
like you said gamers keep in touch with old friends better, i have my childhood friend for 10 years ago on my xbox live account.

another thing they don't take into account is how much facebook addictiveness has stuck the country.. people sleep with phones under their pillows, have thousands of friends so they feel good about themselves, and to always have someone to talk to, really i find facebook has done more dammage than gaming has, while facebook also allows me to chat to friends while they arn't online on xbox or don't own one, i'm not a hormanal girl who has to have her life posted on FB

now many of you might disagree, but people should stop attacking gamers, and start attacking mobile phones and what impact that has on modern children.
i have a phone, i have some friends numbers, but i never use it, i just talk to them on the internet, it's simple so why is everyone obbsessed about their phones..

Hasoonie17

Wow, well i've always tought that anyone who says gaming is bad, is francly a grumpy bitch..
like you said gamers keep in touch with old friends better, i have my childhood friend for 10 years ago on my xbox live account.

another thing they don't take into account is how much facebook addictiveness has stuck the country.. people sleep with phones under their pillows, have thousands of friends so they feel good about themselves, and to always have someone to talk to, really i find facebook has done more dammage than gaming has, while facebook also allows me to chat to friends while they arn't online on xbox or don't own one, i'm not a hormanal girl who has to have her life posted on FB

now many of you might disagree, but people should stop attacking gamers, and start attacking mobile phones and what impact that has on modern children.
i have a phone, i have some friends numbers, but i never use it, i just talk to them on the internet, it's simple so why is everyone obbsessed about their phones..
Lol, I couldn't agree more with this post. Facebook has literally destroyed so many peoples lives because they are too concerned with posting their entire life story on it. I mean look at Timeline... its literally encouraging you to post what you do every single day/365 days a yr. In my English class, everyone is on their freaking iPhone on Facebook talking to thousands of people whom which they probably don't even know half of them or playing that stupid Draw Something game (although I'll admit it looks addicting) and not even giving the teacher any mind... If anything like you said, smartphones & facebook are the main causes of people's depression & anxiety because they are constantly checking it 24/7 and if they dont have any notifications I bet they get into a bad mood for the rest of the day. Now I know this obviously doesn't apply to everyone, I'm just observing what I see daily.

/rant lol

Vanhodid

Lol, I couldn't agree more with this post. Facebook has literally destroyed so many peoples lives because they are too concerned with posting their entire life story on it. I mean look at Timeline... its literally encouraging you to post what you do every single day/365 days a yr. In my English class, everyone is on their freaking iPhone on Facebook talking to thousands of people whom which they probably don't even know half of them or playing that stupid Draw Something game (although I'll admit it looks addicting) and not even giving the teacher any mind... If anything like you said, smartphones & facebook are the main causes of people's depression & anxiety because they are constantly checking it 24/7 and if they dont have any notifications I bet they get into a bad mood for the rest of the day. Now I know this obviously doesn't apply to everyone, I'm just observing what I see daily.

/rant lol
one thing i have to say is draw something, its very fun if you can draw on a crap touchscreen, otherwise it gets hard.. but i know what you mean, even at school where phones are not allowed, you have dozens of status updates from school saying something so pedi like "in class with Amy" who gives a fuck where you are people are not as self concious to have to know where all there friends are ever 20 minutes, not even the military has that kind of precisin, (but the military can spell...)

sam.chen

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm... interesting... can't say I didn't see this one coming though.

@jason, you're right man. The classification is very broad, which is why everything else is classified as additions as well. I bet there's such thing as a "study addiction" seeing how everything such as food, gambling, sex and now videogames/internet addiction. lol....

I don't think CNN's article is wrong per say... they're just stating the utterly obvious. I mean, just look at the title - "Excess gaming linked to depression, bad grades". Uhhh... hate to say it, but DUH! If I spent 18 hours a day gaming, my grades would be pretty terribad and I'd be pretty depressed too. I mean, at that point I'd probably realize that I'm the guy from the South Park episode with no life.

MT0-OL_71yU

IMO psychologists, CNN, or whoever can make suggestions all they want.... IMO it just boils down to willpower and self control. I'd be pretty inconvenienced if I were barred from playing games or going on the internet for days, but I sure as hell won't end up in a depressed state or anything. That said, I'm not going to let a game stop me from doing my homework, study for a test, prepare for a presentation, etc.

Gorman

I don't know why media keeps pushing the "gamers are socially inept" argument - almost any game I can think of requires high levels of team work and social interaction to function. Perhaps they havn't realised that to function in a 100 play clan you have to talk to other people?

Besides that, it seems like they are taking a generic argument and focusing it on gaming, a person who is obsessed with anything will be preoccupied and experience distraction and lower grades etc. I would imagine that a bonsai enthusiast would face the same kinds of problems as a gamer if taken to the same extremes.