i7 Build

auldgrunt

Working on a new build and would appreciate any input you guys would have.

Currently running an i5 alienware x51 and decided i needed something a bit more flexible so i could upgrade/change thing with ease as the x51 is very compact and physically limits the components that will fit in the case.

Wanting this build to be some what future proof so if i wanted to 2 ways SLI or add additional cards for video/audio.

CPU: Inter i7 4790k

CPU Cooler undecided but was thing a fanless heat sink with 2 fans in the top of the case

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX LGA2011

Memory: 2x8GB  Corsair Vengance DDR3 1886Hz

Storage 1: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO - OS & core programs

Storage 2: 2TB Western Digital Black 3.5'"- Steam, games, file storage

Video Card: MSI GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V

Case - Thermaltake A31 Chaser 

Power Supply - Corsair HX750i Platinum

OS - Windows 7 64 bit - Unsure if i should go for Home premium or Professional 

sam.chen

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm... Not much I'd change. Build looks great to me.

For the cooler, I'd say the Hyper 212 EVO is a good choice. It's cheap. It performs well. You can also get an AIO water cooling unit, but it costs a lot more for slightly better performance depending on the model. 

As for the OS, the difference between Home Premium and Professional is that professional is more designed for users on an active domain environment. Probably don't need it for a home gaming system. It's also needed if you're planning on getting more than 16GB of memory. Looks like you're only putting 16GB in there so you're good. That said, if you do decide to go 32GB, it's a simple one click upgrade to Professional, so I'd probably get Home Premium since it's cheaper. 

auldgrunt

Had a concern that the board/processor conmination would limit me to 1600Hz RAM?
Ordered the hyper 212 EVO and my case has space for 2 additional fans horizontally in s hidden section at the top of the case, advisable to add fans (120mm mounting)

Also may go 32GB in the future hence why i'm leaving 2 slots free. 

Last edited by a moderator:

auldgrunt

Hmmm... Not much I'd change. Build looks great to me.

For the cooler, I'd say the Hyper 212 EVO is a good choice. It's cheap. It performs well. You can also get an AIO water cooling unit, but it costs a lot more for slightly better performance depending on the model. 

As for the OS, the difference between Home Premium and Professional is that professional is more designed for users on an active domain environment. Probably don't need it for a home gaming system. It's also needed if you're planning on getting more than 16GB of memory. Looks like you're only putting 16GB in there so you're good. That said, if you do decide to go 32GB, it's a simple one click upgrade to Professional, so I'd probably get Home Premium since it's cheaper. 
Had a concern that the board/processor conmination would limit me to 1600Hz RAM?
Ordered the hyper 212 EVO and my case has space for 2 additional fans horizontally in s hidden section at the top of the case, advisable to add fans (120mm mounting)

Also may go 32GB in the future hence why i'm leaving 2 slots free. 

sam.chen

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, you won't be limited to 1600MHz. As for fans, you can always add more later if you find the system to be running hot. If you're running them horizontally just make sure you're running decent quality fans, not the sleeve bearing ones. Sleeve bearing fans mounted horizontally can fail prematurely and make strange noises. Otherwise, everything looks good. Good luck!

auldgrunt

Nah, you won't be limited to 1600MHz. As for fans, you can always add more later if you find the system to be running hot. If you're running them horizontally just make sure you're running decent quality fans, not the sleeve bearing ones. Sleeve bearing fans mounted horizontally can fail prematurely and make strange noises. Otherwise, everything looks good. Good luck!
Any specific fans you can recommend? would be 2x120mm fans mounted horizontally 

sam.chen

Administrator
Staff member
I'd definitely recommend Noctua fans. They're silent and they move a lot of air, but they are expensive. Corsair also makes some great fans as well. The only thing to keep in mind is to purchase fans that have high CFM rather than static pressure. Static pressure fans are only for use with watercooling radiators and applications where more air pressure is needed. 

ironwarrior

I'm upgraded my system at the moment as well.
In my opinion with the cost similarity I see no reason not to go with the new Intel Skylake Architecture.
For me I'm going with the i7-6700 so I can take advantage of the new features it brings.
The future is moving toward the LGA1155 Socket/ Z170 chipset, why invest your money in older technology.

Now if you you already had the i7-4790 then there would be no reason to upgrade at this point.
In fact having an i5 might not give you the best reason to upgrade either... Many of the i5s hold their own in the gaming world and do just fine. Now for me, I'm running a dual core... old E8500 and it's screaming for upgrade.

ironwarrior

If your looking for a great cooling case check the Antec 900 or 1200.
I've been running the Antec 1200 for the last 5 years and haven't had a single issue.
It comes with hella fans ... you won't be disappointed.    In fact I am using the same case
for my new build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129100

Here are the fans that it comes with...

• 2 rear 120mm blue LED exhaust fan
  • 1 top 200mm Big Boy 200&tradel blue LED exhaust fan
  • 3 front 120mm blue LED intake fans with front speed control
  • 1 window side panel 120mm fan slot
  • 1 middle 120mm fan bracket

auldgrunt

Skylake was not around when i started this build & i have almost completed it.
My current i5 runs far hotter than i'd like (65°C at doing light work i.e. web browsing, skype & music.

My current case limits what components I can upgrade due to it being so compact.
DDR4 was contemplated but could not justify the additional cost at this stage. Hence making this build so i can add additional graphics, RAM & storage as required.
With my current build i struggle to get 30FPS on GTA V, Alien: Isolation & tomb raider (Only running 1 monitor)

DDR4 processors are similar but its the cost of DDR4 boards & RAM that put me off.

Quite happy with the chaser A31 case as it stands but thanks for the suggestion! Got my case for £40 as opposed to £104 for the one you suggested.

It's my first build so want to work out any niggles then start on a DDR4 build once I'm more comfortable & have the money to do so.

ironwarrior

Hello Auldgrunt...

Sorry, was not aware you had already started the build.  In that case, then no need to consider Skylake as you pointed out.

Definitely a compact case will cause restricted airflow and more heat.
Your new case should make a world of difference provided you have the proper fans installed.

What really sold me on the new architecture was the cost.  When I compared the difference between
A 1150 i74790 and DDR3 ram, it was very little more money to jump to the 6700 and DDR4 ram.   The DDR4 ram has really gone down in price.

Either way you go, you will be happy with a fresh upgrade. 
I built my system 5 years ago and my current system is screaming for an upgrade.

Well.. Wish you the best of luck on your new build.
Hope all goes well.

auldgrunt

ironwarrior

Noctua are supposed to be very good fans.
I wonder though, why they make them so ugly looking :).
You would think they would make them black so they blend into most computer cases.
If they want them to stand out I wonder why they use a crappy brown color.. (haha)
No disrespect toward your choice of course..  Just thinking out loud.

ironwarrior

Also you may want to consider installing Windows 10.
I've always been the type to wait it out too, but I have to tell you
I installed Windows 10 Enterprise today and was very happy with it.
Just the speed alone makes it worth it.  It boots up much noticeably quicker than 7 and
I am liking the layout.  Not to mention if you had a licensed version of Windows 7 before
You can get a free Windows 10 upgrade just by going to their site.  They will push it right to your system
Or you can order a copy I believe on disk.   I had it pushed to my old Dual Core system and the CPU hardware wasn't compatible.
I knew it was old, but didn't realize it was that old (haha).

auldgrunt

Not looked at 10 yet but i shall :)
I know but at he end of the days the fair are hidden at the top of the case horizontally behind mesh so tat doesn't bother me too much. Black ones ain't too bad to look at but they make them not as good as the brown ones, dam them! haha

ironwarrior

My Antec 1200 comes with like 5 fans..  They are all over the place.
One thing I like about them is the blue led lights.. They look very cool at night..

auldgrunt

Thinking about having a LED strip along one edge of the window on the side of the case just so it's less dull inside but won't worry about that till it's up & running! haha

What spec if your build?

ironwarrior

Nothing wrong with a little personal customization to make it your own.
But Yes, it gets a little tense the first time you fire up your machine.. After all the investment is usually pretty costly...  You always think the worse, but have to hope for the best .. haha.

As for my build, 

Antec1200 case
i7-6700  Skylake cpu
Gigabyte motherboard
32 gigs of ram
Hyper 212 evo cooler
Geforce 970 video
750 Modular PS
500gb SSD

auldgrunt

So true haha!

What manufacturer of RAM, PSU, SSD & graphics did you opt for?

You have a second hard drive installed?