Why is my computer running slow?

surfer_98

Hi I have a Dell XPS 13 I got several years ago. I recently upgraded it to Windows 10, but it's still running slow. What can I do to speed it up if I'm not ready to replace it yet? 

sam.chen

Administrator
Staff member
Well that's a loaded question. First thing I'd suggest is to download Malwarebytes. There may be a chance you've been infected with something and it's causing the slowdown. 

If that's not the case, have you tried doing a clean install of Windows? Generally, if you just upgrade Windows, it leaves behind a lot of junk that will slow down your computer. The easy way to do this right now is back up everything on your PC and go to Start --> Search for "Reset this PC". Then follow the process to do this. This will completely reset your system and it should speed things up by a lot. If it doesn't help, you may want to look into upgrading your PC. Something like a SSD if you haven't installed one already will give you a good boost of performance. 

djshadow

Hey Sam, I installed Malwarebytes and it found a couple things. Hopefully that was it. The system doesn't feel much faster though. Any other suggestions before I go in for a full reset? I'd like to avoid that if possible.